Why Come to the ASC?
The ASC Mission
The mission of the ASC is to enhance student learning by providing academic assistance beyond classroom instruction. The ASC can:
- Help students in all programs meet the standards of their coursework at DeVry
- Provide students and their tutors a place conducive to studying and learning
- Offer electronic and print resource materials for many subjects
- Provide computers and workstations for students
Benefits of Tutoring
The ASC can assist you in many ways. In it you can.
- Complement your present study habits
- Review course material
- Get clarification about material learned in class
- Prepare for tests and assignments
- It doesn't cost you a thing!
The ASC Tutoring Relationship
When you use the ASC for tutoring purposes you should expect the tutor to:
- Answer questions
- Explain/Demonstrate concepts
- Promote understanding
- Provide study, note and test taking skills
However, you must understand that the tutor is only there to assist you. Therefore you must:
- Review and complete course material before the tutoring session
- Be responsible in your learning
- Use the instructor as the primary educator
- Be punctual and reschedule or cancel appointments if unable to attend
Do I Need Tutoring?
This is a very common question. In case you are unsure of the answer here are some questions to ask yourself.
- Have you missed classes due to illness, business, or family emergency?
- Are you having difficulty understanding the material that is presented in class?
- Was your test score lower then you expected?
- Is your lab assignment not working properly?
- Have you been away from the class environment for a number of years?
When to see a tutor:
- To learn time management and study, note-taking and test taking skills
- To ask questions about your homework
- When your instructor refers you to a tutor
- To clarify what your learning in class and discuss ideas
- To help you study for a test or quiz
- When you feel your beginning to fall behind in a class and need help to catch up
- Class notes
- Course syllabus
- Related Materials
- Past tests and quizzes